Top Ten Ways to Celebrate UN Day
- Host a Speaker at your school who will highlight the work of the United Nations in the international community. Think about ways to incorporate this into an academic department, or try to collaborate with another student organization.
- Show a documentary related to a UN issue. To make an even bigger impact, charge admission and donate the money to a UN cause, such as the Nothing But Nets campaign to end malaria deaths in Africa.
- Screen the film Girl Rising to celebrate both UN Day and International Day of the Girl, which is October 11. This year’s theme is Innovation for Girls Education.
- Hold a UN Day roundtable discussion on international youth Issues. Invite students from different backgrounds to share their stories.
- Decorate your school, dorm, or student union building in blue and white to promote UN awareness.
- Collaborate with international student organizations on a fashion show involving countries and national dress of nations around the world. Be sure to include important facts about the UN with each style!
- Plan an advocacy day for your Model UN or student group, asking individuals to dedicate the day to educating their political leaders on the importance of the United Nations. To learn more about advocacy, check our Tools and Resources section.
- With the 2014 election fast approaching, host a discussion featuring candidates and/ or elected officials who are running for local, state, and national office to hear their views on the UN and international politics.
- Combine your UN Day and World Polio Day events- World Polio Day falls on October 24 to raise awareness for polio eradication. Host a fun event to raise money for Shot@Life and global vaccination efforts!
- Use the UNA-USA Model UN App to host a UN simulation with your campus chapter or a high school group. Try the zombie simulation for some extra fun!
Learn more about UN Day 2016 on the UNA-USA website