The UNA-USA Emerging Leaders Fellowship provides professional development to UNA-USA Students and Young Professionals who commit to attend monthly virtual discussions. The theme of the 2nd Emerging Leadership cohort will be “Stand Up for Someone’s Rights: Celebrating 70 Years of the UDHR." By completing the program, members will be equipped to lead human rights initiatives in their local chapters and gain professional development skills in event-planning, leadership, and communications. There is no cost to participate. All program participants will create an action plan over the course of the series and present their action plan to the National Office and their local UNA-USA chapters.
A past participant in the program said, "Members should participate in the Emerging Leaders Program, because the program provides much insight on how to lay a solid foundation with respect to teaching future leaders about best practices and how to yield positive outcomes for the community. Working with like-minded individuals and learning from each other is very important to have success and grow initiatives by adding value to your community."
Requirements for Participation:
- Must be a UNA-USA paid member (or registered GenUN member)
- Must be committed to participating in six webinar trainings (and must participate in at least 4/6 trainings to receive the Fellowship program certificate of completion)
- Must include a “nomination letter” from your chapter to participate
- The nomination letter should be included in your application. It should be signed by your chapter president, and be no more than 400 words explaining why your chapter is selecting you to participate in this program.
- Must plan on serving in national or local chapter leadership over the coming year (2018-2019)
- Friday, June 22 at 4 pm – What are Human Rights? History of the Declaration of Human Rights
- July – Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, UN Human Rights Council
- August – Designing a Human Rights project
- September – Event Planning and Marketing 101
- October – Engaging Human Rights issues on the Local Level
- November – Action plans presentations
UNA-USA Emerging Leaders Program webinars will take place once a month on Fridays from 4 pm-5 pm, beginning June and ending inNovember 2018 (exact dates TBD).
By Ryan Kaminski, Senior Program Manager of Human Rights and Special Initiatives and Anna Mahalak, Youth Engagement Manager